Thursday, February 25, 2010

"I left my heart in Puerto Rico"

Greatings all!  I am back (and tan) from the wonderful island of Puerto Rico.  It was nice to go somewhere warm (mid to upper 80's all week) and get away from the snow covering the ground in Maryland.

The view from behind our hotel.

While we dealt with rain most of our first day, the following days were beautiful.  Clear blue skies, a bit of humidity and a beach right out back of the hotel.  While my husband golfed with a friend from college and his dad, my mom and I took the opportunity to lay around on the beach and by the pool.  We were able to visit Old San Juan twice and I highly recommend the trip.  The old buildings are absolutely beautiful and the views from the two forts can not be beat!



The Capital

A View from the Fort

Another view from the fort

A Sentry (watchtower) at the fort

A View from the fort back at Old San Juan.  I love all the colors in the buildings.

This Cemetary was right on the water and the contrast just kind of seemed pretty.
While we drank A LOT of rum, we also took a tour of the Bacardi Rum facility.  You don't get to see much of the actual production which was a touch of a let down, but you do get to see the history and, best part, get free drinks at the end!

Bacardi

Apparently, at the original Bacardi Distillery in Cuba, the founders wife saw fruit bats all around.  The founder thought it was lucky, and the logo was born!

A Wall of Rum--YUM

Tuesday we took the drive (and beware, the driving in PR is crazy) from where we stayed in Dorado to the El Yunque rainforest. What a beautiful place!!!  There are these huge bamboo trees and when the wind blows all you hear is the clunking of the trees knocking together.  There are observation towers at various points on the mountain and you can see for 10 miles-all the way to Luquillo. 


El Yunque Rainforest

A Stream at El Yunque

The Bamboo Trees

Coco Falls

I climbed across all the rocks to get this picture.
View from the observation deck to Luquillo.
After the trip to the rainforest, we went to snorkel. I had never been before and it was such an amazing experience. The seas were a bit rough, which made it hard to stay awy from the coral (the huge bruise on my leg proves it--but unfortunately I may have damage the coral :( ) I saw so many beautiful fish, such pretty colors, and had a real calm, relaxing experience. (I took some pictures, but need to get it uploaded)
As nice as vacation is, its nice to be home and get back into a routine.  I was able to run a couple of times on vacation, but tonight I was able to get back to it. After a nice easy 3 miles, I called it quits, but honestly, just going out and doing 3 miles after my breaks made me feel like I was really strong and capable.  There is less than 2 months until the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler and I am feeling less nervous every day. I know I am strong and I know what my body can do and it CAN do this race!!!

4 comments:

Laura said...

Wow, that is gorgeous! You definitely make me want to check it out.

Unknown said...

It was such a suprise! I was not expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. I really recommend it to anyone looking into a vacation!

jamie@sweatyhugs said...

Gorgeous photos! I have got to make my way out there some day. :) (P.S. - Awesome to know that you'll be at the Cherry Blossom 10 miler! Best of luck to you!)

Charm City Kim said...

I was in Puerto Rico about 3 years ago for a wedding and went to all of thos same places. its nice to see the pictures!