Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Greetings from the Tundra

Greetings, from the Frozen Tundra Maryland.

Those pictures in my previous post are from the first blizzard that dumped 33 inches at my house. 4 days later, we got another 20 inches. That makes for a total of 55 total inches in 4 days!! This is the first time two blizzards have hit the Mid-Atlantic Region ever. Boo YAY for making history!!! I moved away from Iowa for this?

After digging out from both storms and the awful road conditions after the first storm, my husband did not want me driving my little car to work so we commuted together and shortened the workday so we were off the roads by the time the sun went down. This posed a problem though, because I was not able to go to the gym after work. I was not able to run for 11 days. Run outside you say?? Not a chance. I fell on ice one morning just walking across the parking lot to my husband’s jeep (I am fine, just was a bit more and bruised. I am sure it looked comical with my feet moving really fast under me and then landing on my back—and that is why my neighbor was laughing at me from his warm kitchen—but it was not appreciated at 7:30 in the morning (my mittens hid what my middle finger was saying to him). I can only imagine how I could have injured myself if I added speed to the equation. I am  a walking disaster clumsy enough without factoring in various weather extremes, so I know my limits.  Our sidewalks were barely passable and the roads are only plowed so two cars can squeeze by each other.  Just not a safe situation all around.

Finally, I have been able to get back into a routine. I got out of class early on Monday (it was snowing/sleeting, again) and headed to the gym for a quick run, since it was already 8:30. I ran a quick (for me) 2 miles and called it a night so I could get home and get a quick dinner in. It felt great to run again. I was in a funk all last week and found I was moodier and more emotional without having run. Tuesday I took another Pilates class (love it!!) and ran a quick 3 miles this time, at a faster pace than the day before, which made me feel really strong! I decided not to push it either day since I was just coming back. Tonight, I am planning for a nice 5 mile run at my typical race pace (12 min mile) and speed work on Thursday.

I have to profess my love for the Ziploc steamer bags. Honestly, this has made cooking dinner so much easier in the evenings, especially since we tend to eat later in the evenings (yes, not the best for you, but given with two students in night classes, its our best option).  I can slice up some veggies, stick them in the bag and pop them in the microwave. Best part—no dishes! I can usually do a couple of dinners in one night and store the extras in the refrigerator. It’s healthy and cooks its content well, so I am in love with this product.

On Friday we are leaving for Puerto Rico!!! Warm weather, here we come! I almost wonder if our luck will have Mother Nature following us down to PR and snowing there! Either way, I am looking forward to our vacation away, kayaking, snorkeling, hiking and relaxing.

 Hope you all had a great Valentine’s Day!


Sheryl said...

Have a great time in Puerto Rico! I'm sure the warm weather will be a welcome change from all that snow you guys have been getting.. 55 inches, that's insane!

Laura said...

I am SO jealous that you are in PR right now - that is seriously the only warm place anywhere right now :)

Erin G said...

@ Sheryl--It was hard to leave! Its nice to sleep in my own bed though!

@ Laura-if you are looking for a quick trip, I HIGHLY recommend it. We loved it so much that we are going back in November