Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A bit of pain, a bit of fear and a vacation!

I started seeing a chiropractor last week and, as suspected, my hip and back are a problem. I have some joints out of place, so we are working on that. Luckily, my chiropractor is also a physical therapist and is doing more than just manual adjustments. He is helping me learn more stretches to loosen up my hamstrings and calves and giving me some workouts for my core that will help my run better. In the two sessions I have had with him, I feel taller, straighter, and overall much more comfortable, especially when I run. I managed to get in 4.5 miles on Saturday with no pain at all—a wonderful improvement from Wednesday. I am behind my goal of hitting 5.5 miles by last week, and 6 this week, but I am sure I can make up for it over the next few weeks, especially if I do the exercises recommended by my chiro on a regular basis. I am worried I might hit a wall around 6 miles though, since a 10K is my furthest race. Anyone have any recommendations on how to overcome a running wall?

I started thinking of the Cherry Blossom Ten Miler and how fast I run. I will finish the race in just about 2 hours, which is fine with me because at least I will have done it--although I am fearful that I will fall under the 14 minute mile pace and some huge hook will yank me off the street saying "too bad fatty--you were going too slow!" As someone who suffers from ADD (albeit self diagnosed) I really wonder if I can do it. Can I keep myself going for 120 minutes? At the gym, I get bored after about 20--and just push through the next 30-40 minutes, depending on my goal. What on earth am I going to do for 120 minutes? Luckily, we will be running through DC and the surrounding areas, so there is always stuff to look at, but I am still worried that I might do poorly because I am just bored. Any thoughts, suggestions or advice?

I was suprised to note the other day that I have not had a cold all winter *knock on wood*. I typically get at least one bad cold a year that will last about 14-16 days from start to end. People around me have been really sick with colds, my husband had a terrible flu at the beginning of the year. Me--not so much. This is the first winter that I have been exercising regularlly and I have to say, I think its really helping my health--beyond my waistline and the reflections in the scale!

My husband is turning 30 is a few weeks! He is an avid snowboarder and golfer, so I figure we would take a trip somewhere cold and snowy (which is fine—I snowboard as well, enjoy the cold and love snow) to celebrate, but nope! We are headed to Puerto Rico for 5 days! I am so excited and super motivated, since I plan to spend most of my time in a swimsuit, going kayaking and relaxing beach/poolside! Luckily, our hotel has a full fitness area, and we are going hiking a few times in the rainforest not far from where we will be staying.

No comments: