Thursday, August 5, 2010

Running as a Statement

A few days ago, a friend posted this as their status on Facebook.



“Running is a statement to society. It is saying ‘no’ to always being on call, to sacrificing our daily runs for others’ needs. When we run, we are doing something for ourselves.”

--Phoebe Jones

I am thankful my friend who posted it did so because it really got me thinking. I really put off running consistently for other people and things I think I need to do—I like being social, doing things with/for people. In doing so, I become a heck of a lot more stressed, cranky and overall less pleasant than my running self because I don’t get the “me” time I get while running that is really important to my overall health.

It resonated with me, especially, because this is the first week where I have been running on my terms and when I want. I am not sacrificing my runs to run errands, putz around, or meet my husband at the golf course. Since I have been running, I am feeling a lot more like the Erin I of training days, and I got away from that.

They say it takes 21 days to form a habit. So far, I have run 4 out of the last 6 days. I think I am working my way back towards getting in the habit of running. Some days I still look at it as a chore, but each day, it becomes less like a chore and more like my own special kind of therapy.


So, I am off on a well deserved rest day, but looking forward to picking up my habit tomorrow.

Happy running!

1 comment:

dawn @ running the dawn said...

I love it! It's so true that while I don't always enjoy the physical act of running, it does allow me to be the best version of myself. Thanks for sharing!