Monday, May 9, 2011

Hello Hills

Thursday, my cousin's husband sent me a facebook message about going for a run around where the Maryland Half Marathon will be this upcoming weekend and I happily agreed.

Remember the Maryland Half Marathon?  How the hills made me want to die and quit and how Katye managed to get me across the finish line?  Yeah, I signed up for that race again because the promoters moved the course and promised that the course would be flat.  And you know what?  Those f'ers lied, if our run on Saturday was any indication.  The 6.5 miles I got in was hilly as s.

It was a beautiful day in Baltimore, and aside from being a bit rushed from getting a late start, I was happy to be able to get out, check out the course and have a running buddy (even if B was so freaking far ahead of me and would loop back, a la Katye).  We started out and I knew I was in trouble-I was trying to run too fast with B. Eventually, we split apart, and just in time for the hills to start! Since I had never run the route before, B would loop back, run with me for a bit and then I would let him go ahead.  He would explain what hills, curves or other important information (a few of the roads had NO shoulders and you needed to pay attention for cars coming around or over the hill) and then carry on his way.  I tried to power up the hills the best I could and tried to make the best of the run.

I was may have said a few choice words towards B and called him an inappropriate name a few times, but I think he enjoyed having a running buddy as much as I did.  I stupidly left my camera at home, which was a shame, because we were running through some very pretty rural areas.  

And since I know you all are dying to hear about my social life, the run Saturday was followed by movies with friends, then later for dinner and drinks in DC. 

Cuba Libre in DC.  That deliciousness is a grilled pineapple mojito that I LOVED.  Shout out to Vance, our bartender for the stop who concocted this and a couple of shots for us too:)  We had planned on a bar crawl in Chinatown to various ethnic restaurants and trying a signature drink at each place.  We made it to two places before we went dancing.  WOOPS!

Today, I went for a shorter run after work and felt this terrible pull in my left calf and had to hobble off the treadmill to the stationary bike.  Seriously?!?!!  6 days before the half marathon?!?!?!  Stairs are a struggle and I am just so stinking frustrated.  I am hoping that the next few days of rest (or at least the bike and elliptical) will help whatever it is heal, but really, don't I just have the luck!?

Where is your favorite place to spend time with your friends?  Do you have a favorite drink or do you like trying new things at every new place you go to?

Happy Running!




3 comments:

Courtney @ I CAN DO THIS said...

OH man! I hope your leg gets better pronto! Good to see you posting again :)

Unknown said...

oh no i hope you are still ok to run! good luck!

alm515 said...

Hey! I think I figured out how to comment on your blog! I thought I needed a blogger account... Your eyeshadow looks amazing in this picture! Keep the blog entries coming!!!